Main Article Content
Background: Ultrasound is the best-known modality used for screening and diagnosis of breast pathologies. This study determine the ultrasound findings in patients with Mastalgia and its association with age.Aims and Objective:To determine the ultrasound findings in patients with Mastalgia and its association with age in Gujranwala, Pakistan. Material and methods: A retrospective cross sectional study was conducted at Medcare International Hospital Gujranwala, Pakistan. A total of 121 female patients with the history of breast pain were enrolled in present study. The duration of this research work was from July 2021 to December 2021. All patients visiting us with the history of breast pain more than one month were included in the study. Pregnant women, those with hormonal therapy and previously diagnosed and treated cases of breast cancer were excluded. All patients were advised breast ultrasound after history and physical examination. Predesigned questionnaire form was used to collect the data. SPSS was used to analyze the data. Frequency of different findings and their associations were found out using the chi square test. These were then graphically portrayed in the form of tables and graphs. P value < 0.05 was considered as significant.Result: The mean age of the patients was 30.03±8.02 years with age range 10-53 years. Among 121 females who presented with breast pain, maximum frequency 50 (41.3%) was seen in age range of 21-30 years. Fibrocystic changes were seen in 22 (18.2%) patients, parenchymal changes in 20 (16.5%), mass Duct ectasia in 13 (10.7%), lymphadenopathy in10 (8.3%), Solid lesion in 8 (6.6%) and fibro adenoma was seen in 4 (3.3%) females respectively. we had four parameters i.e fibro cystic changes, solid lesion, adenosis and parenchymal changes who were linked significant with age with p-value 0.02, 0.001, 0.012 and 0.009 respectively. Most patients were classified as either BI-RADS 1 (53.7 %) or BI-RADS 2 (27.3%).
Conclusion: Patient presenting with mastalgia may have different pathologies. Ultrasound can help to determine the exact cause of mastalgia specially breast diseases in young females for whom mammography is contraindicated.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Maddox PR, Harrison BJ, Horobin JM, Walker K, Mansel RE, Preece PE, Nicholson RI. A randomised controlled trial of medroxyprogesterone acetate in mastalgia. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 1990 Mar;72(2):71.
- Yıldırım AC, Yıldız P, Yıldız M, Kahramanca Ş, Kargıcı H. Mastalgia-cancer relationship: a prospective study. The journal of breast health. 2015 Apr;11(2):88.
- Madlon-Kay J. Lange Aile Hekimliği Ayaktan Tedavi ve Korunma. Ankara: Güneş Tıp. Mengel MB, Schwiebert LP, editors. 2013;44–7.
- Baykal A. Fibrokistik Değişiklikler ve Mastalji. Sayek İ, Özmen MM, editors. 2009;314–7.
- Balcı N, Kantekin V, Sunay D, Aydın O, Çavuşoğlu NT, Ergün Y, et al. anxiety and related factors: case-control study. Turk J Fam Prac. 2013;17:8–12.
- Cowin P, Rowlands TM, Hatsell SJ. Cadherins and catenins in breast cancer. Current opinion in cell biology. 2005 Oct 1;17(5):499-508.
- Sutherland RL, Musgrove EA. Cyclins and breast cancer. Journal of mammary gland biology and neoplasia. 2004 Jan;9(1):95-104.
- Key TJ, Verkasalo PK, Banks E. Epidemiology of breast cancer. The lancet oncology. 2001 Mar 1;2(3):133-40.
- Khokher S, Qureshi MU, Riaz M, Akhtar N, Saleem A. Clinicopathologic profile of breast cancer patients in Pakistan: ten years data of a local cancer hospital. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2012;13(2):693-8.
- Pruthi S. Detection and evaluation of a palpable breast mass. Mayo Clin Proc.
- Kopans DB. Breast Imaging. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Lippincott Raven Publishers; 1998:409-428.
- Gupta P, Chatterjee S, Sharma V, Singh K, Gupta D. Efficacy of x ray mammography, sonomammography and MR mammography for evaluation of breast lesions in women. Indian J Appl Res. 2017;7(3):26–30.
- Kelly KM. Sonographic evaluation of benign and malignant breast lesions. Crit Rev Diagn Imag. 1996;37(2):79-161
- Tabar L, Yen MF, Vitak B, Chen HH, Smith RA, Duffy SW. Mammography service screening and mortality in breast cancer patients: 20-year follow-up before and after introduction of screening. The Lancet. 2003 Apr 26;361(9367):1405-10.
- Asif HM, Sultana S, Akhtar N, Rehman JU, Rehman RU. Prevalence, risk factors and disease knowledge of breast cancer in Pakistan. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention. 2014;15(11):4411-6.
- Gumm R. Hanif AM, Rasool S. Presentation, management and out come of mastalgia. Cur Med Res Opin. 2004;20:15–7.
- Morrow M. Management of common breast disorders breast pain. In: Harris JR, editor. Breast Diseases. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co; 1991. p. 63–71.
- Marrow M. The evaluation of common breast problems. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61:2371–8.
- BALCI N, KANTEKİN V, SUNAY D, AYDIN AO, ÇAVUŞOĞLU TURGUT N, ERGÜN Y, TEKİN O, ÇAKIT O. Mastalji, anksiyete ve ilişkili faktörler: Vaka-kontrol çalışması. Türkiye Aile Hekimliği Dergisi. 2013;17(1):8-12.
- Salzman B, Fleegle S, Tully AS. Common breast problems. American family physician. 2012
- Goodwin PJ, Miller A, Giudice D, Singer ME, Connelly W, Ritchie P. Elevated high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and dietary fat intake in women with cyclic mastopathy. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 1998.
- Iddon J, Dixon JM. BMJ. BMJ. 2013;
- Ngô C, Seror J, Chabbert-Buffet N. Breast pain: recommendations. Journal de gynecologie, obstetrique et biologie de la reproduction. 2015 Nov 2;44(10):938-46.
- Joyce DP, Alamiri J, Lowery AJ, Downey E, Ahmed A, McLaughlin R, Hill AD. Breast clinic referrals: can mastalgia be managed in primary care?. Irish Journal of Medical Science (1971-). 2014 Dec;183(4):639-42.
- Yıldırım AC, Yıldız P, Yıldız M, Kahramanca Ş, Kargıcı H. Mastalgia-cancer relationship: a prospective study. The Journal of Breast Health. 2015 Apr;11(2):88.
- Genç A, Çelebi MM, Çelik SU, Atman ED, Kocaay AF, Zergeroğlu AM, Elhan AH, Genç V. The effects of exercise on mastalgia. The Physician and sportsmedicine. 2017 Jan 2;45(1):17-21.
- Brennan M, Houssami N, French J. Management of benign breast conditions. Aust Fam Physician. 2005 Apr;34(4):253-5.
- Noureen S, Farhat J. Ultrasound findings in patients with mastalgia. 2016. 130-133.
- Engin Ölçücüoğlu ,Güliz Yılmaz. Is imaging necessary in young patients? In Turkey. Turkish journal of surgery 2013; 29(1): 17–19.