Main Article Content
Background: Femur is a long bone that measures gestational age and contributes to human height and weight, but can also be affected by growth retardation or skeletal growth abnormalities. Objective: To compare the effect of femur length on gestational age of fetus using ultrasonography. Methods: The research was a four-month crossectional study carried out in a private hospital in Tehsil Kharian, District Gujrat, Pakistan. Data was obtained using a simple sampling strategy from December 2022 to March 2023. As a matter of convenience, a sample size of 100 patients was chosen. In compliance with ethical norms described by the research committee, the data was obtained after the patient granted informed consent. Data was entered and analyzed using SPSS version 20.0. Results: This study revealed that 42% females were in early 2nd trimester of gestation, 31% females were in late 2nd trimester of gestation, 21% females were in early 3rd trimester of gestation and only 6% females were at term. Conclusion: In conclusion, based on femur length, ultrasonography is sensitive and accurate in predicting fetal gestational age.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- John A, Rana MS, Hanif A, Faridi TA, Noor S, Zahid S, et al. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Male Transgenders in Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus in Lahore, Pakistan: Male Transgenders in Transmission of HIV. Pakistan BioMedical Journal. 2021;4(1).
- Zhang C, Hediger ML, Albert PS, Grewal J, Sciscione A, Grobman WA, et al. Association of maternal obesity with longitudinal ultrasonographic measures of fetal growth: findings from the NICHD Fetal Growth Studies–Singletons. JAMA pediatrics. 2018;172(1):24-31.
- Butt K, Lim KI. Guideline no. 388-determination of gestational age by ultrasound. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. 2019;41(10):1497-507.
- Babuta S, Chauhan S, Garg R, Bagarhatta M. Assessment of fetal gestational age in different trimesters from ultrasonographic measurements of various fetal biometric parameters. Journal of the anatomical society of India. 2013;62(1):40-6.
- Roy M, Gajbe UL, Singh BR, Thute P. Morphometric measurement of fetal femur length for the prediction of gestational age in the IInd and IIIrd trimester of pregnancy by ultrasonography. Journal of Datta Meghe institute of medical sciences university. 2017;12(3):187.
- de Carvalho AAV, Carvalho JA, Figueiredo Jr I, Velarde LGC, Marchiori E. Association of midtrimester short femur and short humerus with fetal growth restriction. Prenatal diagnosis. 2013;33(2):130-3.
- Ugurlucan FG, Kayserli H, Yuksel A. Prenatal evaluation of fetuses presenting with short femurs. Prenatal Diagnosis—Morphology, Scan and Invasive Methods. 2012.
- Callen PW. Ultrasonography in Obstetrics and Gynecology E-Book: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2011.
- Butt K, Lim K, Bly S, Cargill Y, Davies G, Denis N, et al. RETIRED: Determination of Gestational Age by Ultrasound. Journal of Obstetrics and gynaecology Canada. 2014;36(2):171-81.
- Yousif NAM. The Determination of Gestational age by Humerus and Femur Length measurements by using ultrasound: The National Ribat University; 2017.
- Shirazi M, Niroomanes S, Rahimi F, Golshahi F. Ultrasound assessment of fetal biometry in Iranian normal pregnancies. International Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2019;10.
- Pang M, Leung T, Sahota D, Lau T, Chang A. Customizing fetal biometric charts. Ultrasound in obstetrics & gynecology. 2003;22(3):271-6.
- Yeh M-N, Bracero L, Reilly KB, Murtha L, Aboulafia M, Barron BA. Ultrasonic measurement of the femur length as an index of fetal gestational age. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1982;144(5):519-22.
- O'Brien GD, Queenan JT, Campbell S. Assessment of gestational age in the second trimester by real-time ultrasound measurement of the femur length. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 1981;139(5):540-5.
- John A, Faridi TA, Samreen K, Gill A, Noor S, Iqbal N, et al. A Prospective Cohort Study on Suspected COVID-19 Patients undergoing Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR and HRCT: Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR and HRCT in COVID-19 Patients. Pakistan BioMedical Journal. 2021;4(1).
- Wolfson R, Peisner D, Chik L, Sokol R. Comparison of biparietal diameter and femur length in the third trimester: effects of gestational age and variation in fetal growth. Journal of ultrasound in medicine. 1986;5(3):145-9.
- Hadlock FP, Deter RL, Harrist RB, Park S. Estimating fetal age: computer-assisted analysis of multiple fetal growth parameters. Radiology. 1984;152(2):497-501.
- Salomon LJ, Alfirevic Z, Berghella V, Bilardo C, Hernandez‐Andrade E, Johnsen S, et al. Practice guidelines for performance of the routine mid‐trimester fetal ultrasound scan. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;37(1):116-26.
- Papageorghiou AT, Ohuma EO, Altman DG, Todros T, Ismail LC, Lambert A, et al. International standards for fetal growth based on serial ultrasound measurements: the Fetal Growth Longitudinal Study of the INTERGROWTH-21st Project. The Lancet. 2014;384(9946):869-79.
- Mayer C, Joseph K. Fetal growth: a review of terms, concepts and issues relevant to obstetrics. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2013;41(2):136-45.
- Kwon JY, Park IY, Wie JH, Choe S, Kim CJ, Shin JC. Fetal biometry in the Korean population: reference charts and comparison with charts from other populations. Prenatal Diagnosis. 2014;34(10):927-34.
- Islam N. COMPARISON OF FEMUR LENGTH WITH GESTATIONAL AGE INCLUDING OR EXCLUDING SPUR OF FEMUR: sudan university of science and technology; 2010.
- John A, Faridi TA. Evaluation of Awareness and Preventive Measures among Transgender Regarding Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Lahore Garrison University Journal of Life Sciences. 2022;6(01):83-94.
- Caughey AB, Nicholson JM, Washington AE. First-vs second-trimester ultrasound: the effect on pregnancy dating and perinatal outcomes. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 2008;198(6):703. e1-. e6.
- Rao KEV, Ramagalla AR, Shabana Sulthana D, Rani BS. Estimation of Foetal Gestational Age by Measuring the Femur Length. European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine (EJMCM).9(04):2022.
- Shalev E, Feldman E, Weiner E, Zuckerman H. Assessment of gestational age by ultrasonic measurement of the femur length. Acta obstetricia et gynecologica Scandinavica. 1985;64(1):71-4.
- Honarvar M, Allahyari M. Assessment of gestational age based on ultrasonic femur length of fetus. Acta Medica Iranica. 1999:134-8.
- Osinusi B. Ultrasound femur length as a means of assessing gestational age amongst Nigerians. West African Journal of Medicine. 1990;9(2):116-9.