Main Article Content
Background: with the increasing numbers of elected caesarean the cases of abnormal placental implantation such as previa is also increasing. Mortality and morbidity of mother increase with placenta previa due to increase in the incidence of bleeding during pregnancy.
Objective: this study was performed to evaluate the prevalence between repeated elective caesarean section and abnormal implantation of plancenta / previa.
Material and Patients: It is a cross-sectional study conducted over a period of 4 months from February 2022 to May 2022. A sample size of 35 patients was collected using purposive sampling technique. Data was collected from Lady Atchison Hospital Lahore and Christian Memorial Hospital. Patients with history of elected caesarean without any medical emergency were included in the current study. Patients with multiple gestations, patients with placental abruption, female with gestational age less than 28 weeks, smoker, diabetic patients and hypertensive patients were excluded. Data was analyzed using SPSS 20
Results: In the present study 35 patients were selected .Out of total 35 participants females aged 30yrs were more prevalent.. Regarding gestational age most femalesin this study had gestational age 28weeks In total 35 participants Placenta Previa was seen in 20 participates. Most cases of placenta Previa are seen in females who are gravida4 and para3.
Conclusion: The study concluded that elected C-section and placenta previa are closely linked. It showed that pregnancies at the gestational age of 28 – 29 weeks have high privilege of placenta previa.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Nazir S, Cready C. The C-Section Epidemic in Pakistan. PIDE Blog. 2020.
- Bano R, Mushtaq A, Adhi M, Saleem MD, Saif A, Siddiqui A, et al. Rates of caesarean section and trials and success of vaginal birth after caesarean sections in secondary care hospital. J Pak Med Assoc.
- Belizán JM, Althabe F, Cafferata ML. Health consequences of the increasing caesarean section rates. Epidemiology. 2007;18(4):485-6.
- McCourt C, Weaver J, Statham H, Beake S, Gamble J, Creedy DK. Elective cesarean section and decision making: a critical review of the literature. Birth. 2007;34(1):65-79.
- Guttmacher AE, Maddox YT, Spong CY. The Human Placenta Project: placental structure, development, and function in real time. Placenta. 2014;35(5):303-4.
- Khan M. PLACENTA PRAEVIA AND MATERNAL MORBIDITY IN SCARRED UTERUS. Turkish Journal of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation.32:3.
- Clark SL, Koonings PP, Phelan JP. Placenta previa/accreta and prior cesarean section. Obstetrics and gynecology. 1985;66(1):89-92.
- Haider G, Zehra N, Munir AA, Haider A. Frequency and indications of cesarean section in a tertiary care hospital. Pak J Med Sci. 2009;25(5):791-6.
- Ananth CV, Smulian JC, Vintzileos AM. The association of placenta previa with history of cesarean delivery and abortion: a metaanalysis. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 1997;177(5):1071-8.
- Majeed T, Waheed F, Mahmood Z, Saba K, Mahmood H, Bukhari MH. Frequency of placenta previa in previously scarred and non scarred uterus. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. 2015;31(2):360.
- مممن مصط ف ,ميعا محمد ,مداغ صالح. Study of Prevalence of Placenta Previa and circumstances among pregnant women in Fallujah Hospital. 2021.
- Ozdemirci S, Akpinar F, Baser E, Bilge M, Unlubilgin E, Yucel A, et al. Effect of the delivery way and number of parity in the subsequent incidence of placenta previa. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. 2020;33(19):3238-43.
- Matalliotakis M, Velegrakis A, Goulielmos G, Niraki E, Patelarou A, Matalliotakis I. Association of placenta previa with a history of previous Cesarian deliveries and indications for a possible role of a genetic component. Balkan Journal of Medical Genetics. 2017;20(2):5-9.
- DAFALLAH SHY. The association of placenta previa in patients with history of cesarean delivery: National Ribat university.
- Nankali A, Keshavarzi F, Shajari A, Daeichin S. Frequency of placenta previa and maternal morbidity associated with previous cesarean delivery. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014;4(14):903.